Friday, April 06, 2007

Crazy Times

Well, yesterday I was due for 10 miles. Instead, I was fighting the most violent flu I've ever had. It was horrible and insane. It almost seems like it was food poisoning...but from what? That Kashi cereal I had? A bagel with sun dried tomato spread and cheese? Can't figure it out. But man, it was some miserable stuff.

So today I'm a thousand percent better, but still pretty weak and dehydrated. I gotta say, it's been a tough spring to be a triathlete. I've said before that, after the countless hours spent last year training for Ironman, I think it's a fair exchange to this year focus more on the rest of my life. Still...I am a triathlete, after all. I have my first race in (geez) less than a month. A marathon in 6 weeks. And it's been nothing but interruptions and derailments to my training schedule this spring, with the efforts to get the house moving (it goes on the market on Monday, by the way. Everybody cross your fingers), and now getting sick - it takes a few days just to get back to workout-ready status. And the weather - are you kidding me with this weather? It's, like, 26 degrees today. April effing 6th, and it's seriously January outside. No big deal for running, but tough to spend quality time on a tribike when it's so damn cold. Just - a weird spring. I've had to just insist on patience, and attitude - that this is a different kind of season, that I'll have to take what comes, that my expectations will have to be different than they were at the pretty elite (for me) levels I was at last summer. Sigh.

Anyway, that's what's up with me. What's new with you?

5 comments:

Steve Stenzel said...

That's gross. I hope you're better!

This weather in these-here-parts sure stinks lately.

UltraMamaC said...

feel better. I'm pretty fed up with winter, and it's wrong, wrong, wrong in so many ways to come from cold in Denver to colder in DFW. Wha?

I skipped my long run last week in favor of time w/my boys. I think I made the right choice, but I only have a half-marathon to get ready for in the next month. Oh, and that first-ever sprint... sigh.

Triteacher said...

The ONLY good part of being sick is how deliriously good you feel afterwards... hope you're 100% soon.

Yes, this weather is wearing thin! I'm pretty sure it's at least 2 degrees warmer in Madison than in the Cities though. ;)

qcmier said...

Hope you feel better.

TriStupe said...

get well soon. Truly inspirational blog as i'm gonna do my first ever IM race next year.