Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Sneak Peak...

So I've mentioned that I'd have video to share of Becoming Ironman, and that I'd been working on something for the last few weeks. Well it's finally finished, and I'm excited to share it with you.

Quick recap: I'd thought I'd take some of the photos and video that the Team shot at Ironman and throw it together in some kind of DVD scrapbook. When I got to perusing the many things they came up with, though, it was pretty exciting to literally see the story unfold. And that was the other thing - like most athletes out there (at least first timers?), my day felt like a pretty epic story. It had a plot. Cast of characters. Climaxes. That sort of thing. As I watched some of the television footage from Ironman Wisconsin, it sort of completed the picture for me. Without any real plan or intention, the video kind of took on a life of its own, and now consists of 9 "chapters" (some shorter than others) and a total running time of just over an hour. It's a fun recap and scrapbook for the race and all its elements for me. It's something I - and hopefully the Team - can put it in ten years and still really enjoy, but it was also important that I create it in such a way so that my friends and family who weren't in Wisconsin could get some kind of grasp on just what this thing is, and how big, and how amazing. I of course can't possibly capture that, but I tried to at least allude to it. So anway, it's pretty self-centric, naturally. Somehow I feel like saying that, a bit apologetically. But hopefully it's also just about Ironman, and how much bigger the day was than me, and how much the Team was a part of things. Hopefully any one of you could watch it and really enjoy it while also getting a sense for what my race was like, one in a cast of 2500. Hopefully the Team will watch it and relive everything again, like I have and do when I watch it.

By the way, Team - you're getting your DVD at an upcoming party, and/or I'll be mailing it to you.

A few final general notes: I've borrowed some footage throughout the movie from the FSN/OLN broadcast of Ironman Wisconsin, as well as last years NBC broadcast of the World Championships in Kona. You'll see some of that here in the Prologue, and I know some of you will be familiar with it.

I'll wait to post any more chapters until after the Team has all received their DVDs - in about 2 weeks or so. For now I thought it would be fun to share the first chapter with you. I'll share subsequent chapters probably once a week or so in the weeks to come, so stay tuned.

Becoming Ironman Part 1: The Prologue

Becoming Ironman started, essentially, sometime in the fall of 2003 when I stumbled through my first mile, teetered along on my first bike ride (wherein I promptly got my first flat...after falling down twice because I didn't know how to unclip from my pedals...) and sloshed my way through 25 yards of wet, breathless hell in the pool. This in training for my first "A" race (I didn't know what the term meant then) - the 2004 Lifetime Fitness Triathlon, Olympic distance. In my heart, I began training for Ironman that day, in the moments before that race. The following seasons saw my first 10 mile race, 3 Half Ironman races (none of them spectacular), several Sprint and Olympic distance races, and a marathon - all in preparation for IMWI '06. The Prologue begins the adventure of Becoming Ironman by glimpsing what is to come, and what it took to get there.


15 comments:

RunBubbaRun said...

X,

Great video, I hope you don't mind me stealing some of your ideas. I thought of doing one, but no time just yet. Really inspiring to see.

jbmmommy said...

Awesome video, thanks for sharing. As soon as I heard the opening I got goosebumps. It looks like you've got a personal photographer, too- great pictures. Totally inspiring and makes me more sure that it's my goal, some day, too.

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see You Become IM again!

:) said...

Very cool, I like it alot!

xt4 said...

Cool! I'm glad you guys are digging it, and especially if anybody can find some inspiration in there for anything, I think that's awesome. Plus...you haven't even seen the best parts yet! :)

Bubba - absolutely, steal away. Whatever gets you going.

jbmommy - heh heh, yes I do have a personal photographer. His name is Mike and I'm lucky to have a friend like him that comes to almost every race AND is a great photographer.

Thanks everybody!

Anonymous said...

DAMN! Very cool my friend, can't wait to see it in it's entirety.

Glad to see the Gray Ghost made it in there and didn't end up on the cutting room floor.

See ya soon buddy!

Trisaratops said...

X--that is AWESOME!! Very cool. The pics are sweet! I wish I had some pics like that...I barely have any pics of me on the bike--just the professional ones. How awesome that you could make a keepsake like that! :)

Pharmie said...

OMG! So cool. Makes me want a full center-stage story of my own. I can't wait to see the rest of it!

UltraMamaC said...

inspiring beyond words.

I'm going to have to remove you from my blogroll or I'm going to end up doing something stupid like learning to swim so I can start doing this tri thing. too late -- I've already started looking for swim classes...

Anonymous said...

awesome Chris, keep it coming!

The Stretch Doc said...

Dude, Totally AWESOME!! Very Inspiring!! Just got back from 10 mi run, totally tired and thinking to my self why?
Then I see your video and Know WHY!! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cant wait to see the rest..!

Rockon``

Chad said...

Wow Tito! That is incredible. Can't wait to see the entire video.

RunBubbaRun said...

X, when you get a chance could you let me know how you were able to get clips from YOuTUbe to use on your video. Or did you use something else?

rnbubbarn@yahoo.com
Thanks

FeGirl said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
FeGirl said...

I am a little behind in the reads, but this was way awesome!! :) I look forward to seeing the rest.